Revgal Monica Thompson Smith posed give questions about back to school this morning. Like Monica I loved school; I got good grades and enjoyed team sports, I loved the finiteness (I don’t think that is a word, but it works!) of reports and tests. Unlike ministry, which is never finished. Her questions didn’t quite resonate with me as I attended six different schools, in three different provinces in 10 years of schooling. I ran away from home when I was 14, so didn’t finish high school till MUCH later, but that’s a story for another post!
So here are five things about the ‘back to school’ season that I love:
- September always seems like the New Year to me. There is a sense of anticipation, of new beginnings, new possibilities.
- I am always tempted to start a D. Min in the fall, even as I recognize that I don’t really have the energy to undertake that along with interim ministry.
- The opportunity to go out and buy some new office supplies, because we all know how coordinated clips and notepads and pens are an asset to our ministry!
- Getting back to more regular routines, don’t misunderstand me, I love the slower pace of summer and this year enjoyed a month of vacation, where I didn’t make many plans and did what I wanted most days without thought for the next. But it’s time to get back to the gym and healthier eating, and earlier bedtimes.
- The crispness in the air in the mornings this past week is reminding me that despite hot days, the season is changing… but it’s always bittersweet.