Musical Friday Five!
- What is your favorite pre-1950 hymn? Jesus Love Me. While I remember it from my childhood, it is a memory from my internship in 2002 that makes it stand out for me. I was visiting the nursing home and one of the men, who had severe dementia, that the only thing he could remember was this hymn. Ever since then, I have thought that if this is the only thing I remember at the end of my life, it will be enough.
- What is your favorite post-2000 hymn? VERY hard to decide, so I am going to give you five! Winds of Change, In the Bulb, We Are Pilgrims, Let Us Build A House.
- What is a “secular” sing that you find spiritually meaningful? I have been lucky to sing with a community choir whose director chooses spiritually uplifting music around a theme each season. Right now I am finding Buffy St, Marie’s We Are Circling particularly meaningful. You can find it here. And almost anything by Leonard Cohen, his music has been the soundtrack of my life since I was 14.
- What is/are your preferred musical instrument(s) for worship? I like a variety, but if I could only have one, it would be piano.
- What is your favorite hymn for Lent? O God We Call, we used it as our opening sung meditation last year during Lent.