It’s Friday Five at RevGals and the question today is about home. What makes home ‘home?’
Safe home, safe home.
May the road be clear.
May you miss the storm.
May the light be on,
And the fire warm.
Safe home, safe home,
These words, which I sang with the You Gotta Sing Chorus a few years ago, have been swirling in my head a number of time this past month as I have traveled home in stormy weather. The words and melody have a particular resonance which often brings a lump to my throat and tear to my eye. I was learning it when my father died somewhat unexpectedly and it has been echoing in my head once again as I learned of the death of my ministry mentor a week ago. You can listen to it here performed by the writers.
- Comfortable surroundings, texture and colour and arrangement of furniture have a powerful impact on me.
- Books and coffee and wine!
- Loved ones – Although 15 years of singleness taught me that home doesn’t require loved ones to be living with you. Holding hands and saying grace with my husband (and whoever else is over) at suppertime.
- Cats – The lack of other energy in my home when my cat died was profound.
- The ocean! Despite the fact that I did not grow up anywhere close to the ocean, it’s home to me.
What is ‘home’ for you?