Over at RevGals, the Friday Five question this week is ‘What Kind of Year?’
I am not in the habit of making New Year’s Resolutions anymore, but have been thinking about the future a lot, especially as I leave one congregation in less than two weeks to take up a 6 month appointment with another one. So, five things about what kind of year I hope it will be:
1. A year in which I am as compassionate with myself as I am with others.
2. A year in which I get outside more often, I spent a lot of time outdoors this summer while on sabbatical and was once again reminded of how much it feeds my soul. And to recognize the seasons, that not all of them are ones of growth, and that the seemingly dead seed pod holds the promise of tomorrow’s beauty.
3. A year in which I invest in own relationship with God as much as I invest in my congregation’s relationship with God.
4. A year in which I return (once again) to healthy eating.
5. A year in which I express my appreciation and gratitude regularly.
I just finished reading this article, which makes so much sense both on a pastoral and personal level and while I have a list of five rather than one focus, as I look at the list, it all involves health. Healthy relationships with God, others, self and creation.