Advent Traditions – For many years, I dreamed of a the perfectly decorated home, with presents wrapped under the tree, a perfectly cleaned house and lots of time for baking and soaking up the season. The reality is, I have scaled back my expectations. But here are five that are central to my enjoyment and anticipation of the season.
- I like to get the house decorated early in December.
- I My youngest granddaughter, now 7, has come over for the past 5 years to help decorate the Christmas tree and this year, she is coming over to do some Christmas crafts as well.
- I used to do a lot of baking, and still would like to as I love to bake, the last few years I make shortbread for me and something my husband has requested. That might involve either or both of my grandchildren.
- I usually take my youngest granddaughter shopping for a Christmas dress.
- Attend a worship service, often a Blue Christmas service, in order to pause and reflect and remember.
I never had the opportunity to do any of these things with my older granddaughter because she didn’t come into my life until she was 8, and is now 20, so I cherish being able to do them with my youngest one.